Tuesday, September 2, 2008

10 years from now

10 Years from now? I'm really not even sure what I plan on doing tomorrow or this weekend, much less in 10 years. There are so many opportunities and great paths I could take, but I honestly don't know which one is for me at this point. My faith has directed me thus far, and I can only hope that my reliance on God will push me toward where I am supposed to go.

After graduating I would really love to do mission work for a year or two. If after that time spent around the country and/or the world I feel led to continue in that field, then I think it would be amazing to do so.

As a management major I could pursue a great many positions. The options are plenty, and openings aren't scarce. Whether it be running a restaurant, a boutique, or a large corporate company, my education has been preparing and continues to prepare me for taking on those positions. I have worked in the restaurant business for the past five years and have really enjoyed it, so opening one of my own or simply accepting a job as general manager would be something fun and familiar for me.

However, I don't think it would be as challenging for me as I would like. I have always loved planning events, particularly the set up and interior design part, and think event planning would be an excellent position for me. I handle pressure very well, and can come up with quick solutions when something goes wrong. I hope to at least have an internship sometime very soon where planning is involved so that I can exercise these skills and see if that's really what I'm in fact interested in.

Another position that I have considered for several years now is that of a Youth Pastor. There have been several people in my life that have impacted me greatly and pushed me to pursue my faith and live a life pleasing to the Lord. I am forever grateful to them, and would love to be that go-to person for teenagers who are struggling with all the pressures that come with growing up. I love helping people talk and sort through their problems, which is why at one point thought I saw myself as a therapist or school counselor.

Clearly I have had many thoughts and considered many options for the future. But who says I couldn't experience all of them at some point? My mom always says she still doesn't know what she wants to do when she grows up... This gives me hope that I can always change my mind. The workforce is a competitive place, but it is also one of endless opportunity.

In ten years I hope that I can look back and say that I've had really great learning experiences and have met and interacted with wonderful people. I hope that I can look back on these days and say that I pursued what I believed was best and loved and learned from the people in my life the best I could.

No comments: