Thursday, September 18, 2008

Cover Letter

My impression of what is supposed to go in a cover letter wasn't quite as accurate as I thought. I was not aware that cover letters should not be about the writer, but rather the company. However, this makes since because the writer wants the person reading the letter to believe that he or she has researched and is aware of what the company does, and obviously believes he or she would make a good addition to the organization.

Another point to remember is that the cover letter will not be read first. The interviewer will only read the cover letter if the resume makes a good enough impression and he or she is interested enough to find out why the writer is particularly interested in the company.

Key points that I thought were important to remember included: being specific and personal, selling yourself as the applicant by making the reader see why you would be a great addition, and giving testimonials. I found giving testimonials to be a very good tip because it helps build credibility and ethos.

Most importantly to remember, FOLLOW UP! Give the impression that you care about being a part of the organization.

2 comments:

Taylor D. said...

Sarah,
I loved your presentation! It really meant a lot to know that there is someone advocating for those children. I thought you did a great job and I'm really excited about working with you on the client project!

Brianne R said...

I wrote about your presentation in my blog this week! I loved your presentation and happy we're working together on the project!