Sunday, September 14, 2008

What to Ask an Interviewer

I thought the article, "What to Ask an Interviewer" was very helpful. It's definitely hard to keep in mind that I, the person being interviewed, also need to ask questions regarding the position that I am applying for. The article had some very good points; some I was aware of, but sometimes forget, and others that I never thought about.

The article reminded me that it makes me look intelligent and interested when I ask questions. It means that I have potentially researched the company and am seeking more knowledge so that it may become a more mutual selection process, rather than the interviewer bombarding me with questions and drilling me about my experience and what I may be looking for. While the company probably knows better whether or not I would fit in with the other co-workers, it is also important that I feel welcome within their organization. Bringing up the work environment and company policies and goals would be a good discussion so that I, as well as the interviewer, can begin to see if my personality and worth ethic fits there.

Another point the article made was to remember the audience. I wouldn't want to ask someone on the executive board the same types of questions as I would be able to ask co-workers, managers, and/or recruiters. I must keep in mind what is appropriate and what is relevant to who is interviewing me.

No comments: